Sunday, April 10, 2011

Reflection on Oral Presentation

Ensuring sustainable growth of Singapore: When we were choosing the topic for our project, this topic clearly stood out to us from the rest, and hence we chose it. However, when we started with writing the project proposal, we realized how broad this topic was, and had a bit of difficulty narrowing down our topic. Frankly speaking, I could not really identify many things to improve in Singapore, considering the quality of life and growth everyone has here. What we realized was that behind this glorious life at Singapore, there is the workforce which is making it happen. After a bit of research, we found that there is indeed something to improve on in Singapore, to ensure the sustainability of Singapore's development, the life of these migrant workers.


One interview session with a migrant worker, several personal surveys, group discussions and a million articles later, we realised that the situation of these migrant workers was MUCH more complex than what we had imagined it to be. Our group started with the project proposal just as a part of our module requirement. However, over the time it turned into something which we actually felt for, and wished to bring about a change in.


I believe that this passion is the reason why our presentation went pretty well in my opinion. Until one member of the audience commented, I did not realize that our presentation and proposal seemed a bit ambitious. After the presentation, I lend it some thought, and was convinced that we can actually bring about the change we have suggested in our proposal.


On reviewing the overall presentation of the group, I’d say all in all we managed to do a good job. We made use of creative slides with effective visual aids, relevant content explaining our observations and conclusions and supported our proposal with practical examples such as the migrant workers' dorm on Bukit Batok Expressway, so that the panel could relate to it in Singapore. But what we probably lacked, was effective time management. Our topic was very vast, one that would need a whole lot of explanation to the idea behind our solution, but alas time chose to give up on us.


Personally even though I’d say I have improved since the last presentation, I still have more room for improvement. I had prepared what I would say for each slide, and was clear that my objective was to vividly display the current problems and induce positive emotions in the audience for these workers. To do so, I believed that the video I had come across was absolutely necessary. However, this increased the pressure on me, especially since we were being timed, and I had to make sure I don't eat into my group mates' time. This set in a little nervousness in me, but I tried my best to cover it up.


Apart from the time constraint, one more thing I was confused about was my facial expressions. In presentations, generally we are expected to smile and appear friendly to the audience. However, the intensity of the problem we were dealing with made it feel highly inappropriate to smile. I decided to go with the flow of my emotions during the presentation, and could not help not smiling.


The Q&A session was pretty interesting as well. Lots of questions from the audience, some regarding the authenticity of our strong statements and some doubting the practicality of our suggestions. However, I believe our group did a great job handling each question smartly and truly. I hope we were able to convince the audience.


During the entire time, I tried to be clear and concise while speaking since I tend to get a little fast at times, and emphasized on those points that I found relevant, using effective voice modulation. I also managed to maintain a good eye contact with the audience and used appropriate hand gestures to support my explanations. However, these could still be worked on and improved.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Akash!

    I feel that you are the best presenter in the class- you were calm and composed, spoke at a good pace, was adequately loud, used hand gestures to bring a point across, and handled the Q&A session well. Two suggestions I can offer would be too smile more (not excessively of course), and engage the audience more. However, bearing in mind that this is a presentation and not an interactive session, I suppose there has to be limits to this amount of audience engagement. Perhaps maintain a longer amount of time for eye contact with a certain section of the audience before shifting your gaze? I noticed that you shifted your gaze pretty fast at times.

    Overall, really great job done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Akash,

    Always seen you as a very persuasive speaker and you are still very persuasive in this presentation. Great confidence displayed especially when answering of questions. Great job Akash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Doris,

    Thank you for being so nice and supportive to me regarding my presentation. Its good to hear that the presentation went fine.

    Well, as for the smiling part, I agree with you. I get too carried away with the emotions of my presentation, and as a result always miss out on smiling. It sometimes even intimidates my audience.

    And as for the eye contact, brilliant suggestions. I had never noticed that before. Hence, thanks a lot for bringing it up. I ll surely try to improve it form next time.

    Regards,
    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisu,

    Thank you for your comments and appreciation of my presentation. I have always tried to give the audience what they deserve. However, truly speaking, behind the face of confidence, I was indeed a bit nervous during the presentation. But I tried to cover it up. Hopefully, it worked.

    Thanks again for the comments.

    Regards,
    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Akash,

    It was a nice topic. I think because we were constrained with URA weren't very easy for you. Otherwise, think you will be able to showcase that idea better.

    The foreign workforce is a very unique problem for Singapore, I think. Since it's they who are doing most of the work at the basic level. And thus, like you say, it's not good if we can't take care of them.

    Anyway, your presentation was good. You presentation skill is good also :)

    Cheers
    P.S: I'm a bit late :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to agree with Akash on not smiling, because this is a serious issue, not something you want to smile at. Or maybe you can smile when you come to the part on your solution, when you are talking about the benefits. That would be appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Mark: Thank you for your comment. I am glad that the presentation turned out well, and that you liked it. I wish to actually carry on with this project outside this module as well. Lets see how it turns out.

    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Desmond: Thank you for your comment. Well yeah, that seems like a good suggestion. I guess it was okay that I did not smile because I was just talking about problems, which were too serious to smile at.

    Akash

    ReplyDelete