Thursday, February 10, 2011

Writing an Application Letter

Job Advertisement:



 Company  Bank of America
 Job Title  Internship with Bank of Ameria- Technology Summer Analyst   Program 2011
 Location  Singapore




Overview
As a Technology Analyst, you’ll:

- Have a rich and varied working experience
- Work closely with colleagues throughout our company to build relationships
- Gain the knowledge and expertise to meet the challenges critical to building a technology career within the financial services industry
- Collaborate on exciting global projects that contribute to business success and next-generation advances


Be exposed to a broad range of technologies covering many diverse environments: 

Applications development, involving the design, development and deployment of state-of-the-art applications using Java, C++, .NET and Web Services, to power and improve our business

Business analysis, using key client-facing skills and deep technical expertise to bridge business and technology and create powerful specifications

Project and delivery management, bringing new applications online using Waterfall and Agile development lifecycle methodologies


Requirements

Strong academic qualifications are important, but you'll also need to demonstrate drive, innovation and a genuine interest in a technology career within financial markets. We accept applications from a diverse range of degree disciplines, although Computer Science and Engineering subjects are key for this line of business. Working knowledge of Java and/or C++ is essential. You’ll also need team-working, leadership and problem-solving skills plus creativity, along with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task and interact with a variety of people.

11 weeks (23 May 2011 - 5 August 2011)

Language RequirementsFluent written and spoken English 

...............................................................................................................................


Application Letter:




Akash Ranka
Road,
Residence, Block, Level, Room,
Singapore- pin code.

Date: 10th February, 2011

Respected Sir/Madam,

Application for the role of Technology Summer Analyst

I, Akash Ranka, am an undergrad student at the National University of Singapore pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering with Business and Management as my minor. For several months now, I have been keen on gaining an experience of working for a firm such as yours, as I have always been interested in the dynamic world of banking and finance technologies, and also wish to pursue management or financial studies after my current degree.

Though my experience in the past has mainly been technical owing to the nature of my degree, I have had the opportunity to be a part of Start-Up@Singapore (S@S), an international business plan competition, where I am currently serving as the Competition Director. My duties include overseeing every aspect of the competition, ranging from identifying and securing judges for the event as well as planning the various stages of the event.

I believe that the experience I garnered at S@S will serve me well during my internship, and I am certain that I shall be able to actively contribute to the firm based on what I have learnt during my time as Competition Director. I have also worked in HDFC bank which gave me a good understanding of the bank work culture, which I’m sure will help me in my internship. I have also attached my resume for your perusal.

Further, apart from allowing me to have a firsthand look into the Banking and Technology industry, I believe that an internship at your firm will help me move towards a more rounded personality, simply because of the high degree of quality of service that is strived for and attained at Bank of America.


Yours faithfully,

Akash Ranka




Enclosure: Resume



7 comments:

  1. Hi Akash, please upload your job adv so your classmates can better comment on your application letter. You may also like to remove your actual address as that is very personal information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Lim,

    I have copied and pasted my job ad here, because I only have the job add in the form of a web page.

    Also, I have removed my personal details.

    Thank you.
    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the quick work, Akash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Akash!
    I like how you close your application letter with a subtle compliment paid to the company. The structure of your application letter is sound as well.

    (You can almost hear the invisible ‘BUT’, heh.)

    Perhaps you would like to change the beginning of your first paragraph to something less lofty-sounding? You could also add the time frame with regards to your work at HDFC bank so as to give the employer a good gauge of how relevant your work experience is (I am saying this because I assume your work at HDFC bank is rather recent).
    All in all, rather good application letter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Doris,

    Thank you for your comment.

    Can you please elaborate on what I should change in the first paragraph? I will make sure I include the change in my new draft.

    Also, I'll also incorporate your suggestion regarding adding the time-frame for my work at HDFC bank.

    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Akash,

    The application letter of yours have a very good structure, plus, it is good and concise. And like what Doris says, you can adjust the tone a bit so it could become a great application letter.

    For example, at the 1st paragraph, you can try replacing "I, Akash Ranka" with "Good moring, my name is,.... " or "Good day, I am....". It would makes a better intro. I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mark,

    Thank you for your comment.

    I ll tweak the first paragraph a bit in my next draft.

    Akash

    ReplyDelete